How to Clean and Disinfect Hair Tools and AccessoriesPosted by Aashi Beauty Admin on
When was the last time you cleaned your hair tools and accessories? If you’re still thinking about it… I hate to inform you that it’s probably been way too long. Like our make-up brushes, sponges and clothes, our hair brushes, combs, straighteners, curling irons and accessories need to be regularly cleaned and sanitized. Our hair can absorb a lot of bacteria and dust, and let’s not forget about the additional products we use like oils, sprays, dry shampoo and more. Each time you brush your hair, you’re transferring those products onto your hairbrush and creating buildup.
Now ask yourself, would you want to use dirty brushes on your skin when doing makeup? Probably not. Similarly, would you want to use dirty hair brushes on freshly washed hair? Probably not - I hope. The good news is cleaning hair tools and accessories is super easy and doesn’t take too much time. Keep reading to learn how to clean hairbrushes, combs, hair tools and hair accessories!
Hair brushes and combs:Supplies needed:
A strong/durable long thin narrow object with a pointed tip (rat tail comb or scissors)
Large deep bowl or sink
Once you have your supplies, follow these easy 4 steps to deep clean your hairbrushes and combs:
- Use the rat tail comb (or your object of choice) and gently glide it through the brush to loosen the hair. Once loosen, take the comb again and pull the hair upwards to remove it from the bristles of the brush. The key here is to use a thin and narrow tool that can easily fit between the bristles of the brush to loosen and remove the hair from the brush. Pro tip - depending on how much hair is on the brush, you can use scissors to cut and remove the hair.
- Using your sink or a large deep bowl, mix together warm water and clarifying shampoo. Submerge the hairbrush into the water for 10-15 minutes to deep clean it.
- Remove the brush from the water and use a toothbrush to deep clean the buildup on the edges and bristles.
- Rinse the brush under warm water after deep cleaning it with a toothbrush, and lay it down to air dry.
Repeat these steps for weekly deep cleans!
Hair tools:Supplies needed:
- Microfiber cloth or cleaning cloth of choice
- Rubbing alcohol, white vinegar or a hot tool cleaner - your choice
- Spray bottle
- Warm water
Once you gather the supplies, it’s time to clean! Follow these 3 steps below:
Plug in your hair tool for a few minutes allowing it to be warm but not hot! Turn it off and unplug the tool. The key here is to allow the tool to be warm, as it will allow the buildup to be cleaned easily!
Pour your choice of either rubbing alcohol, or white vinegar into a spray bottle. Alternatively, you could use a professional hot tool cleaner. Using the cleaning solution, spray it onto the warm hair tool and use the cleaning cloth to gently rub the tool to remove any buildup.
Lay the hair tool out to air dry.
Repeat these steps weekly for deep cleaning.
Hair Accessories:Supplies needed:
Microfiber cloth or cleaning cloth of choice
Sink or deep large bowl
For all headbands, scrunchies and silk scarfs we recommend washing these with warm water in your washing machine. Alternatively, you can use the sink or a large deep bowl with warm water and shampoo, and submerge the hair products in water for a few minutes. Gently hand wash the products, rinse with warm water and lay them flat to dry.
To clean hair clips, pour rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle and spray the clips. Using a washing cloth, gently rub the clips to deep clean. Once completed, lay the clips out to air dry.